to infuse... to encourage... to invigorate...

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My Country Tis of Thee


Last week's Presidential debate left a lot to be desired. To start, my ovaries were completely ignored. Call those little organs self-centered, but they've been the center piece of this election season for the past 10 months, and when we finally get to a debate? Ignored.

On the bright side, the event did focus on the economy, healthcare and education - all extremely important issues. It's just too bad the President didn't bring his A game. Mitt Romney stood on stage with his perfectly quaft salt and pepper #JustForMen ad hair (word to twitter), and told lie after lie with the straightest face, a well executed argument and delivery. Meanwhile, the President struggled to be as clear, concise and confident as his opponent, even when spouting proven facts. If I were an uninformed undecided, based on that presentation alone, I would lean toward Mitt. My Country.

My country is in an interesting place. In this two party political system, one side has created a pretty political puppet - a talking head, while the other side is failing to present itself as consistent, persistent and confident in its choices.

My country is a place where those with power and privilege bank on the uneducated staying uneducated, and prey on people's fears and prejudices.

My country is a place where we can elect a president who runs on the platforms of hope, change, and "yes we can!" - but quickly forget that WE includes I, and change does not occur overnight.


"My Country Tis of Thee" is INSPIRIT's newest work conceived by Alexandra Joye Warren, and choreographed in parts by Christal Brown and Toni Renee Johnson. In it, we tackle the perceptions and realities of this nation at this time, with its diverse peoples and experiences. The perception is a hope that by living in this country we may have our basic civil liberties and happiness, but the reality is not quite so.

"The perception is a hope that by living in this
country we may have our basic civil liberties..."
In rehearsing the work, Alex has asked the dancers to determine who we are. Who is my individual character? What is my story? Every time I dance it, I can't think of anyone else to be but me; a black American woman whose ancestors were slaves in the south, and died fighting for my right to vote. From the beginning to the end of this dance, I feel like I am wading through the muck to get to a place where I can truly live my life in the pursuit of happiness. The frustration I felt watching the debate is a frustration I feel as I am dancing - it is a physical fight against the structure - the existing machine - with, and against my peers. At times we are supportive of one another, and other times we are colliding and pushing one another away, just to be the one to stand out.

It is absolutely absurd. Yet, and still, this is my country.

In the Spirit,
Sydnie L. Mosley

We will present the work in progress at BAAD! this Friday, Oct 12. Get your tickets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment