to infuse... to encourage... to invigorate...

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Alexandra Joye Warren | Artistic Director


Alexandra Joye Warren is the new Artistic Director of INSPIRIT, a dance company. She takes over the company after performing with INSPIRIT since 2006, while Christal Brown continues as the Founding Artistic/Executive Director. A native of the Washington, D.C. Metro area, Alexandra began her intense training as a dance major at Suitland High School for Visual and Performing Arts. She received her BA degree in Drama with a concentration in Dance/Pre-Medicine from Spelman College in 2003 and in 2006 received her Master of Fine Arts degree in Dance Performance from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Alexandra has been fortunate to work on projects with Urban Bush Women, Bill T. Jones, Paloma and Patricia McGregor and many other New York based dance and theatre artists. She is honored to lead this exceptional group of gifted performers and choreographers who consider themselves the next generation of innovators in the field of dance.

Company member Sydnie L. Mosley takes a moment to talk to Alex about the transition into her new role in the company since January 2012.

At a little more than 7 months into your new role, the company has accomplished a lot: auditioning and bringing in 4 new company members, creating and setting 4 new works, a successful kickstarter campaign, and a creative residency at Middlebury College. How are you feeling about the company's progress thus far? Are we on track with your vision?
I am so excited about the progress that the company has made in this time of transition. I think it speaks to the incredible foundation that Christal Brown has established for the company. This is evidence of a new era; if we can continue the legacy, everyone benefits. It's a shame to see dance companies that we've known and love crumble when the founder goes through a transition. I am so honored that Christal chose me as the one to pass the torch to. 
"I'm so honored that Christal chose me
as the one to pass the torch to."
I am bursting with ideas and I have realized that some of them may take time. In lieu of that, I feel like many of my goals for the company have been accomplished but I am not one easily satisfied. That pushes me to continue to think more creatively and continue to work harder to build upon the foundation that was laid out for us.
Can you tell us about a challenge and a triumph you've encountered thus far?
The biggest challenge so far, and triumph, was our Kickstarter campaign. It's a harrowing process! The fact is, that even if you are a dollar shy of your goal you get $0 at the end. Those last 24 hours of the campaign were intense but I am so grateful for all 51 people who backed our project and made it a success. Beyond the much needed funds we raised to go back into the rehearsal process, I think we made new friends and expanded our audience along the way which will help us in the long run.
What is a little known fact about you?
That's difficult! I think I'm pretty much an open book. Many people know that I'm also a DJ, trained at Scratch DJ Academy here in New York. There may be some folks that don't know how much I love singing. I once played the lead in The Little Mermaid when I was in Middle School! Now I mostly sing Soprano at Church.

What are you most looking forward to this fall?
Two things: Our show at BAAD on October 12th. It's going to be the first major debut of the new company and a big moment for all of us.  
Also, the birth of my first child. I can't wait to meet our baby girl! It's going to be an epic life changing experience, and I am really looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. Such Great News All Around Congrats Alex!!!

    ReplyDelete