to infuse... to encourage... to invigorate...

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Where Is She Now? Krystal Butler | INSPIRIT Alumna

INSPIRIT nurtures tomorrow's women in dance performance and choreography. In celebration of our performance this week with the newest cohort of dancers, we are kicking off our blog series Where Is She Now?, catching up with some of the fabulous women who have come through the company blossoming into brilliant artists.

Krystal Butler is a native of Washington, DC where she graduated from Duke Ellington School of the Arts, training in Ballet and Horton technique under the direction of Charles Augins and Sandra Fortune. After high school, she received a scholarship to the American Dance Festival in 2004 and again in 2008 where she had the opportunity to work with artists such as Louis Johnson, Christopher Huggins, Robert Battle, Earl Mosley, Camille Brown, and Dianne McIntyre, to name a few. She holds a B.F.A. from Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus in Dance Performance. 

While in New York, Krystal danced with the companies, INSPIRIT, a dance company under the direction of Christal Brown and Forces of Nature Dance Theatre. In 2006, Krystal performed in the play "JUNKANOO" at venues such as the Lincoln Theater in Washington, DC and at the National Theatre of Dakar in Dakar, Senegal. Krystal recently toured Europe as a dancer with Pilobolus Dance Theater in the show MAGNIFICO Circus. In October 2011, Krystal worked for Pilobolus Institute as a teaching artist. She is now touring with the international Pilobolus show Shadowland throughout Europe.

Our one-on-one with Krystal
What was your favorite INSPIRIT repertory work to perform?
My favorite piece to perform hands down was "Past Her Rites." I loved everything from the costumes to the music in that piece.

How did INSPIRIT help get you to where you are today?
INSPIRIT was my first professional concert dance job. I received my first pay check from Christal. I will never forget it!

INSPIRIT also gave me the knowledge, creative allowance and freedom to form into the versatile artist I am today. With all the talented women in the company I learned so much, unconsciously. In my work now, I say to myself all the time, INSPIRIT taught me that. I'm grateful that I am apart of the sisterhood that INSPIRIT has created throughout the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment