to infuse... to encourage... to invigorate...

Monday, October 8, 2012

Where Is She Now? Melana Lloyd | INSPIRIT Alumna

INSPIRIT nurtures tomorrow's women in dance performance and choreography. In celebration of our performance this week with the newest cohort of dancers, we are kicking off our blog series Where Is She Now?, catching up with some of the fabulous women who have come through the company blossoming into brilliant artists.


Melana Lloyd - dancer, singer, actress - got her training in concert dance, but now graces stages all over the country in Broadway productions. Melana has performed in the national tours of Hairspray, and most recently The Color Purple. 

Our one-on-one with Melana
Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
I was born and raised in Lafayette, LA.  I moved to NYC to attend graduate school at New York University--Tisch School of the Arts.  After teaching in a public school for 2 years in Brooklyn and dancing with INSPIRIT, I was bitten by the musical theater bug.  Always just considering myself a "dancer with a big mouth," I am now smitten.  I owe a great deal of gratitude to my parents, family, dancing family, friends, and all those who have taken a chance on me.

Life is not about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself.  Get in the habit of creating! 

What was your favorite INSPIRIT repertory work to perform?
The Nina Simone Suite -- Past Her Rites

How did INSPIRIT help get you to where you are today?
INSPIRIT came into my life at a very integral time.  It gave me a place to train, commune and perform when I had no other place.  

A place to be... 
A place to learn and grow.... 
A place to regroup while still in pursuit.




To keep up with Melana and her pursuits, check out her website HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment