to infuse... to encourage... to invigorate...

Monday, November 5, 2012

Where Is She Now? Candace Thompson | INSPIRIT Alumna

INSPIRIT nurtures tomorrow's women in dance performance and choreography. Our blog series Where Is She Now? catches up with some of the fabulous women who have come through the company blossoming into brilliant artists. 


Candace Thompson, born in Trinidad and Tobago, has come a long way to pursue her art in New York City. Having been trained in ballet, modern and contemporary dance, she graduated from Adelphi University with the Ruth St. Denis award for excellence in her department. She has since had the honor to dance with Andrea E Woods/Souloworks, Germaul barnes/viewsic expressions dance, INSPIRIT, a dance company, Makeda Thomas/Roots and Wings Movement!, Sydnie L. Mosley Dances, and most recently, Forces of Nature Dance Theater. Candace also is a part of a two woman team that runs the Dance and Performance Institute, an organization that promotes and presents contemporary dance and cultural research in Trinidad and Tobago. Candace looks forward to adding to the dance landscape in the US and the Caribbean through her work in performing, teaching and arts administration.


Our one-on-one with Candace
What was your favorite INSPIRIT rep to perform?
It is a definitely a tie: Performing Past Her Rites meant so much to me because I had been working hard towards being cast in the company's signature piece and I was honored to finally be able to perform it. On the other hand I loved performing Dreams and Visions because it expanded my toolkit as a performer having to improvise for most of the piece.

How did INSPIRIT prepare you to be where you are today?
INSPIRIT bridged the gap for me between college and establishing myself as an artist in the real world. Working with the company exposed me to unique choreography, surrounded me with other breathtaking artists and inspired me to step out of the parameters I had unconsciously set for myself. I was also able to learn administrative tools that helped me to go on to work with other organizations. I am so thankful to be an INSPIRIT alumna!

No comments:

Post a Comment